Currently WCS provides technical and financial support to the Institute of Tropical Forest Conservation, a research station linked to Mbarara University in Uganda which undertakes research for the Uganda Wildlife Authority in Bwindi Impenetrable and Mgahinga National Parks. The types of research projects made there include:
- A study of the impact of tourism on gorillas
- A study of the ecology and ranging of the gorillas
- Censuses of mountain gorillas in Bwindi and Virunga Volcanoes
- An evaluation of conservation strategies in and around the parks.
- Methods to reduce human-wildlife conflict
- Monitoring of human use of the forest
- The importance of edge effects on forest composition and human impacts.
- Monitoring the impacts of climate change